Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Parenting analogies

I think I spelled that right...

I once read a book about buddhism related to mothering (Buddhism for Motherss?) and the author likened parenthood to a zen master and a student. The parent being the student and the child/infant being the master. If this is true I shall be a very good student at the end of all of this...I hope. R threw the mother of all tantrums last night. At one point, B said it felt like we were taking a test and all the possible answers were wrong answers. I laughed at this and R stopped crying...for about 3 minutes.

The other analogy I have always liked is one I came across on a parenting chat board. The mother was explaining that having small children is like having a guest scientist stay with you. Your job is to make sure you don't prevent the scientist from making important discoveries, all the while making sure everyone in the house, including the scientist, remains safe and healthy. I try to remember this as I discovers gravity with her food...over and over and over again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home