Goodbye Sweet Hailey
A week ago today we had to have Hailey put to sleep. I already miss her stinky bloodhound fur, the feel of her panting on me and the sound of her snoring in our bedroom...What will I do without my hiking buddy?
When we decided to look for a dog we went to all the the shelters, several times. Most of the dogs had been neglected enough that they didn't even respond to their names being called. Hailey was sitting in her cage howling. She picked us. When we were filling out the paper work to take her home she put her big ol' paws on the counter...she was so excited. We crammed her and her ginormous crate in my itty bitty civic hatch back.
We bought the yellow townhome for Hailey. It didn't have a huge yard but she would sit out there and watch everyone walk by. She would bark a the dogs she didn't like and she would go up to the fence so all the kids could pet her. She would sniff and sniff, and sometimes she would chase deer and we wouldn't see her for 30 minutes. She would come back panting and smiling. I really think she just wanted to smell those poor deer's butts...silly dog.
When I got pregnant with R she would sleep right by the bed next to me. I tripped over her several times on late night trips to the bathroom. Also, near the end of my pregnancy she ate almost an entire pizza because Brian and I were upstairs in the baby room...doing something. She very carefully pulled all the tomatoes off. Hailey didn't like tomatoes.
Hailey loved eating pumpkin. She ate one that we stupidly left on the back patio before Halloween.
She was terrified of thunder. In the old house she would hide in the downstairs shower. I have pics to prove it, too. She looks embarrassed. In the new house she would park herself in our kitchen and I couldn't get to anything. Drove me crazy...
Hailey has only snapped at each of the girls once. Both times I think they actually hurt her and she sternly told them to stop. She was the best dog to raise children. She was fairly tolerant but did get up and leave when they were doing something annoying.
Broomfield would sometimes randomly hiss at her and she would go off whining and baying and basically look like she was saying " I didn't DO anything!!!"
Hailey was such a big part of our family. We miss her immensely. I think we all still half-way expect her to sing and dance when we walk through the door. I really hope she's enjoying doggy heaven, though. I hope the deer finally hold still long enough for her to sniff their bums. I hope she gets to eat pizza and bagels all day long. I hope she has lots of soft sofas to sleep on in the sun and I hope someone is up there rubbing her ears
When we decided to look for a dog we went to all the the shelters, several times. Most of the dogs had been neglected enough that they didn't even respond to their names being called. Hailey was sitting in her cage howling. She picked us. When we were filling out the paper work to take her home she put her big ol' paws on the counter...she was so excited. We crammed her and her ginormous crate in my itty bitty civic hatch back.
We bought the yellow townhome for Hailey. It didn't have a huge yard but she would sit out there and watch everyone walk by. She would bark a the dogs she didn't like and she would go up to the fence so all the kids could pet her. She would sniff and sniff, and sometimes she would chase deer and we wouldn't see her for 30 minutes. She would come back panting and smiling. I really think she just wanted to smell those poor deer's butts...silly dog.
When I got pregnant with R she would sleep right by the bed next to me. I tripped over her several times on late night trips to the bathroom. Also, near the end of my pregnancy she ate almost an entire pizza because Brian and I were upstairs in the baby room...doing something. She very carefully pulled all the tomatoes off. Hailey didn't like tomatoes.
Hailey loved eating pumpkin. She ate one that we stupidly left on the back patio before Halloween.
She was terrified of thunder. In the old house she would hide in the downstairs shower. I have pics to prove it, too. She looks embarrassed. In the new house she would park herself in our kitchen and I couldn't get to anything. Drove me crazy...
Hailey has only snapped at each of the girls once. Both times I think they actually hurt her and she sternly told them to stop. She was the best dog to raise children. She was fairly tolerant but did get up and leave when they were doing something annoying.
Broomfield would sometimes randomly hiss at her and she would go off whining and baying and basically look like she was saying " I didn't DO anything!!!"
Hailey was such a big part of our family. We miss her immensely. I think we all still half-way expect her to sing and dance when we walk through the door. I really hope she's enjoying doggy heaven, though. I hope the deer finally hold still long enough for her to sniff their bums. I hope she gets to eat pizza and bagels all day long. I hope she has lots of soft sofas to sleep on in the sun and I hope someone is up there rubbing her ears

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home